Welcome to our first discussion of Trevor Noah's memoir, Born a Crime. This discussion covers chapters 1-3. It's a short segment, only about an hour's worth of reading, so if you're just joining us now you have plenty of time to catch up for our next discussion next Monday!
Here are a few questions to get the discussion started. Feel free to respond to any or all of them, or pose your own discussion points here in the comments, on Facebook, Twitter, or your own blog. If you do write a blog post for this week's discussion, be sure to post a link back so we don't miss it!
- Easy peasy question: are you enjoying the book so far? What do you think of Noah's writing style?
- What did you know about South Africa and apartheid before going into this book? Is there anything that's surprised you so far or that you've learned?
- How have you responded to each chapter?
- Do you have any favorite quotes from the book you'd like to share?
- What's your initial impression of Noah's mother? What about Noah himself?
- Noah says that everything that's gone wrong in his life has been because of a secondhand car. Have you ever felt like that about anything?
We hope you're enjoying Born a Crime so far, and look forward to seeing what you think of it! Be sure to stop by next Monday for our discussion of the second half of Part I.