- In this first chapter, we are first introduced to Cora. What are your first impressions?
- The bulk of the chapter explores Cora's grandmother, Ajarry and her story. How much of Ajarry's story influences Cora?
- Comment on the opening and closing of the chapter: "This was her grandmother talking." vs "This time it was her mother talking."
- Let's talk about Jockey. What is the importance of his character to the story within this chapter?
- How did the Hob affect Cora, both positively and negatively?
- What was it that caused Cora to step in between Chester and Terrance at Jockey's party? Why did Chester not want anything to do with Cora after she tried to save him?
- What attracted Caesar to Cora? Why did he choose her to run away with?
- Comment on your initial reaction to the underground railroad. Was it described as you expected? Why or why not?
- In this chapter, we meet Ridgeway. What are your first impressions of him?
- It was Ridgeway that was the lead behind finding Cora's mother when she escaped. Now, he is on the case of Cora herself, and is determined more than ever to destroy the underground railroad. Why does he feel so strongly about this destruction?
Feel free to answer any or all of the questions listed above. Feel free to address any that you feel that I have missed. Feel free to link up below, or feel free to just comment here at the bottom of the post.
Next week, we will be back on Monday to chat about the next three sections: SOUTH CAROLINA, STEVENS, AND NORTH CAROLINA. See you all back again next week.